Guest post by Carolyn Barnes
“How can we avoid gaining weight during the holidays?” Before I answer that question, let me ask another, “Do we all just repeat the same pattern year after year, yet expect different results?The key to surviving Holiday challenges is by getting real with our selves, acknowledging Holiday triggers and by anchoring healthy habits NOW! If we wait until the day after Thanksgiving, we run the risk of over indulging the rest of the season. Come New Years, we’re stuck with 10 extra pounds, and too many New Years resolutions.
I’m excited to share a few basic TASKERCISES and tools that have truly helped both my clients and me, conquer “The Holiday Battle Of The Bulge”.
The First TASKERCISE I want to share is Counter Top Push Ups. I can’t express enough how effective this can be. If done correctly, you will feel and see results less than 2 weeks.
What It Works: This will work your arms, core and tush, improve your posture and is the quickest TASKERCISE, giving fast results!
What You Need: A sink, desk or counter.
When To Do Them: Make a rule. Stick to it. My rule is; Every time I go to the kitchen sink I do 8. I’m always going to the sink, so you can imagine how quickly that adds up.
The best part, it takes 8 seconds!
- Stand in front of your kitchen sink, a table, desk, placing your feet hip width apart.
- Place your hands on the counter/table, shoulder width apart and engage your abdominal muscles while pressing your shoulders down, elongating your neck.
- Make sure your shoulders are square to the counter and your elbows point away from your body.
- Bend your elbows lowering your chest 1-2 inches away from your counter/ table and exhale slowly.
- Straighten your arms as you inhale in and come back up. Remember to keep your neck long and in line with your spine, and to press your shoulders down, and your abs engaged.
- · Do this 8 times
NOTE: The key is in your form and posture while you do this TASKERCISE™.
Remember to press your shoulders down, creating a nice long spine. Keep your abs engaged, and don’t forget to breathe
This TASKERCISE will help you fight stress, lower back pain, neck tension AND TRAFFIC!
What It Works: This will work your core, tone your arms, improve your posture and reduce stress!
What You Need: Your steering wheel.
When To Do Them: Make a rule, every time you stop do 8.
Set Your Posture. Sit tall, with your head is reaching towards the roof of your car, spine straight, shoulders are down, abs engaged, and your tailbone dropping straight down into the car seat.
- Center your weight.
- Place each hand on either side of the wheel, placing the palms of your hands on the outside part of the wheel.
- Take a deep breath and as you exhale, squeeze your hands together 8 times, with firm pressure. The object is to use a controlled press and release.
- Do not release your shoulders forward or allow them to hunch up. Make sire the shoulders and shoulder blades stay down and settled in your back.
- It’s important to keep your abs pulled in throughout the exercise. Core stabilization is key to allowing shoulders and arms, move efficiently.
What It Works: This will work your core tush and thighs, increases heart rate, reduces stress and improves your posture.
What You Need: Nothing
When To Do Them: The best time to do this is after sitting for a long period of time. You can also do this if you need a second wind or if you need to release stress! It’s under a minute and it works!
You are basically running in place in a very low plie, for 4 counts of 8, (that’s 32 seconds, you can do that!)
Your feet should be shoulder width apart, and as you are bend your knees into position, draw your belly button up towards your spine.
NOTE: The key is in your form and posture while you do this TASKERCISE™. Remember to press your shoulders down, creating a nice long spine. Keep your abs engaged, push to your full capacity. Staying low to the ground, you will have less impact on your back and knees.
THE POWER OF A SHARPIE
Take a Sharpie and make a dot on your dominant hand,
The visual dot is to help remind you to stand tall, sit up straight, drop your shoulders, unclench the jaw, root down, and breathe. PS. Sharpies don’t wash off easily, so your reminder will help you create the habit for several days!